Friday 17 February 2012

Welcome to my blog

Hello anyone, everybody or just me.

I thought I would share with you my experiences on my visits to the Philippine Islands.

I am currently enjoying my third visit here. My first was a year ago and lasted ten days, my second last September lasted two weeks and my current visit has so far last two months.

Now if you expect me to say I am staying in an island paradise, then you are very much mistaken. I am staying in the city of Dipolog which lies on the island of Mindanao in the south of the country. This is the poorest province in a very poor county. There is the threat not so far away and in particular in the city of Zamboanga of being abducted by terrorists or even worse. There were only recently a number of bombs detonated there.

But as far as it goes, this city for those who like to live a simple life is ideal. There is not much to do here except for swimming, eating, drinking and singing karaoke and not always in that order. There are very little leisure activities here as there would be no point in locals spending the money in establishing any as most people here wouldn't have the money to use them and this is not exactly a tourist hotpot.

The local airport here has two flights to Manila a day and one to Cebu, the second biggest city in the Philippines.

The real attraction here is first of all the cost of living which is extremely cheap. I rent a very nice two bedroom apartment here which costs around P10, 000 a month (£150.00, $220.00) and spend about P3, 000 a week on expenses.

The second attraction here is a beautiful coastline with some of the best sunsets you will ever see.

The third attraction here is probably the best feature of this city. The people. I have never met a friendlier, more hospitable people before in my travels. If you mention this to them, they will tell you it is their culture.

I have on countless of occasions had people, complete strangers ask about me; my life offered me a drink or a meal. Everywhere I walk I hear my friend. The children often say "Hey Joe!" or "Americano!” Now of course I am not American, but to them you are Filipino, Chinese or American and to correct them is kind of insulting.

For a place as impoverished as this is, there is surprisingly little crime. Kids tend to run pretty wild in the streets here without any real problems apparent.

The city itself has a population of about 140,000. But to drive here you wouldn't know it. Most people get about here on motorbike and quite often you will see four people on a bike. I myself have learnt to ride a motorcycle which I am pretty proud of. There are a few cars, mostly four wheel drives which I find rather annoying. The other form of transport is the tricycle and sikad-sikad. The latter is a pedal driven vehicle which I am sure keeps the driver very fit. Here there is only the odd jeepney and no taxis. There are also a few very small buses which run to the neighbouring towns.

I prefer to walk to most places around here which can be done from one end of the city to the other in about twenty minutes. If I go swimming I ride the bike as the beaches are a little further out. Driving can be quite hectic with no real rules, but it’s ok when you get used to it.

Well that is about all for now, however I would like to keep any reader informed of my experiences here and of course answer any questions anyone may have about life here.

Makita Ta Usob!

No comments:

Post a Comment